It’s the not end, its only the beginning! The Highveld Trail Run & Drone Challenge is being postponed due to some important qualifier races around the same time. We are also committed to supporting our fellow farming community in drought-stricken areas, who will benefit from the proceeds.
It’s not all bad news!
The Night Run (6km or 10km) on the 28th of February will still go ahead (cash entry) and you can enjoy discounted accommodation rates @R300pp per night for the weekend of 28 February to 1 March, which also includes free use of trails and our drone flying zones, to enjoy at your own pace!
You can also enjoy our usual activities like fishing, paintball, the shooting range and long, peaceful farm walks!
This event is a must for all families and outdoor enthusiasts. The very first Highveld Trail Run and Drone Challenge charity event will be hosted at Acorn Guest Farm in Carolina District with breathtaking views, an action packed event guide, including a market and live entertainment, and the convenience of authentic, charming farm-style living spaces and self-catering accommodation for up to 56 people. Make a weekend of it! Come as a group or go solo – you’re guaranteed to leave feeling relaxed and re-energised (and perhaps make a few like-minded friends).
There’s a good cause behind the event too! Being part of an active agricultural community, we feel deeply for farmers affected by drought. We invite you to make a donation to help us raise funds, with all proceeds going to the Brandvlei Landbouvereniging Drought Relief Fund. The smallest financial contribution can make a real difference in meeting the needs of the suffering farming community.
Here’s a look at what you can expect:
DAY 1: FRIDAY
Night Trail Run
- Start Time: 18:15pm (less than 3 hours from Jhb / Pta / Nelspruit)
- 6km (R120 entry) or 10km (R170 entry)
- Terrain: Rock sections, forest, dam wall, single and jeep track.
DAY 2: SATURDAY
Morning Trail Run
- Start Time: 07:00am
- 12.3km (R200 entry) or 24.1km (R250 entry)
- Terrain: Wetlands, rock sections, forest, dam wall, single and jeep track.
All the trails will take you through the beautiful working farm with stretches of wetland, forest, farm-dams, single- and jeep tracks and rocky sections. Water, refreshments, friendly supporters and views of luscious fields will energize you along the way.
- Start Time: 14:00pm (R250 entry)
- Drone pilots participating in the challenge, facilitated by Unique Drones, will fly a time trial, compete in a photography challenge (Best photo of day to be presented to Unique Drone marshal at 18:00pm) and operate a search and rescue challenge. Your drone handling skills will be put to test!
- Five exclusive drone flying areas will be available on the farm all weekend. Fly your drone in large open grassland areas, rich in birdlife, with a 3km radius.
- R250 per vehicle
- Start Time: Enjoy at your own leisure
- Distance: 7km
- Terrain: Enjoy a scenic farmland track with well marked route consists of wetland, rock sections and jeep tracks to be enjoyed at your own leisure.
Market In The Yard
- Saturday from 9:00 – 14:00.
- Various stalls will cater for the whole family.
- Kids are free to explore the wide open spaces in safety on their bicycles, play in a safe kids yard or have fun on a jumping castle.
Pre-Booked Dinner & Live Entertainment
- After the races and throughout the weekend, delicious meals can be enjoyed in the stone barn and yard, catered for by Toast who pride themselves in high-quality mouth-watering dishes!
- To end Saturday’s eventful activities on a high note, a scrumptious dinner will be served with the sounds of the talented Stella (Afrikaans adult-contemporary singer-songwriter) entertaining us with a live acoustic set.
DAY 3: SUNDAY
- Breakfast 8am-10am (pre-book)
- If you’re spending the weekend, you’ll have time to explore the farm at your own pace.
- Choose from a wide range of activities to enjoy before you go home such as fishing, hiking, biking, bird-watching and more.
We can accommodate up to 58 people in our Farm style accommodation:
- Our 100 year old Guesthouse has 4 private rooms, with 2 shared bathrooms and a self-catering communal kitchen, dining & living room. Ideal for families, groups of friends.
- The Stalle living space has 9 spacious private rooms each with an ensuite bathroom, with a modern, spacious communal kitchen and living room. Ideal for self-catering.
- There are 3 private suites with ensuite bathrooms.
- The Bridal suite has two bathrooms & a kitchenette, ideal for self-catering.
- NB: All meal tickets and event bookings to be made in advance on Tixsa.
- You can also look forward to amazing prizes to be won during the prize-giving awards.
- Come prepared with mosquito repellant, sunscreen and hats. 🙂
- Bring your camping chairs in case you need them.
Our ambassador and friend of Acorn Guest Farm, Ryno Griesell – passionate mountaineer and trail runner, forms part of our organizing team and proudly supports the event and cause.
We are situated just off the R33 Carolina, 22 km from the N4 – 180km from Pretoria, 230 km from Jhb, and 170 km from Nelspruit. GPS Coordinates: S26°00.961 E029°58.450